Friday, August 10, 2012

Berlin, Germany

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection." - Chuck Palahniuk

I really don't know what to say about Germany...because I haven't yet figured out how I feel about my visit. I will say a quick few things and then one day I'll come back and write more. I'm sure you won't be back to read it because it might not be anytime soon, but that's alright. It'll be written and recorded somewhere so one day I can look back and remember how I felt.

Well, before talking about Germany let me share some thoughts I had at the airport (very briefly) which I'll expand on in another post. I've noted this a few times and I want to figure out why I keep experiencing it. While I'm at the airport, I see people nod and smile at each other out of courtesy. They do the same with me; after all, I'm just another girl wandering around. But then, I take out my passport and people start giving me looks! There's something about being an American that makes people uncomfortable. I can't wait to write about that more...I've been doing research to figure out why :) Just a   few questions I'll be answering later -

  • What are stereotypes of Americans?
  • Are they different by country or city in Europe?
  • Which are true?
  • Why have they been formed?
  • When did they form?
  • Can they be altered?
  • Do they need to be?
  • What are people's thoughts on colored Americans? Are they considered Americans or something else?

Anyway, I'm going to write a few things I found different in Germany and then quickly explain my theory as to why it's that way because for once I think I have answers to my own questions!

  • The streets are so clean (SO clean) but...
  • There are barely any trash cans around. I probably spent a total of 2 hours looking for a trash can!
  • Pedestrians are perfect! They don't cross the street even if there are no cars for more than a mile if they aren't supposed to. 
  • Along with that, drivers are perfect when there are pedestrians nearby. They're so great! 
  • So in other countries, it's polite to ask in their respective language 'do you speak in English?' and then have a conversation in English. In Germany, most people get extremely offended if you ask them if they speak in English. Why? I think they're expected to know it. But of course, more about this later! 
  • Everything is actually open late--all of the shops too. In other cities, lots of things were closed around 6pm which was very frustrating!
  • I saw at least thirty people go through different trash cans pulling out plastic cans and put them in bags that simply stated, 'go green!' Were they collecting them to recycle them? Were they collecting them to make money like we can in New York? Who were they? I never quite figured that out but intend on finding out soon.
So much more to say, so much more to research but I'll come back. Promise!

So long!

P.S. Here's your homework assignment- Think about how the quote relates to the blog. I'll explain it later :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment