Friday, August 10, 2012

Tour of London!

"I'm leaving because the weather is too good. I hate London when it isn't raining." - Groucho Marx

The above quote applies because it hasn't rained in the past two days and I am actually upset. I decided to stay at home today because it's just too hot for me and I'm sad that it isn't cold like London should be!

Anyway, here are some fun stories and facts that I heard while on tour in London. I found them intriguing, fascinating and/or hilarious so I'll try to animate them enough so that you feel the same way! It's just a fun post, nothing serious or thought-provoking!

  • It is illegal to die in the Palace of Westminster, where Parliament is located. Why? Because that means that the state will have to hold your funeral in the famous Westminster Abbey Church (where the Royal Family gets married)! Typically, they will run you out to the nearest hospital before allowing anyone to declare you dead. Since it hasn't happened, no one knows what would happen if you did die in the palace. Everyone assumes that it would be considered a crime; therefore, you wouldn't actually get your funeral to be in the church. Who knows?!
  • The Duke of Buckingham built a beautiful home for himself because he enjoyed bragging and showing off to others. Once he finished building it, he invited everyone to come and see it. He would take them around and show them all of the many rooms and watch as they all admired his work. He loved when they were jealous! Silly Duke, he invited King George to visit because he knew his home was better than the King's. He took the King around and watched as the King really admired everything. He then said 'So George. What do you think of my home? Isn't it just lovely?' And the King replied, 'Yes. It is lovely. Duke. Give me your home. I want it to be my palace.' ...and who has the guts to say no to the king? So sadly, the Duke replied, 'Of course, King. But I spent all of my money building it. Pay me for it.' And the King agreed, and gave 28,000 pounds (which was nothing back then) to the Duke who gladly took it since it was better than nothing! And from then on, the King lived in Buckingham Palace although it didn't become the official Royal palace until later on!
I'm going to grab dinner and try to hop back on to tell you a few more things, including my most favorite story about London! 

So long! 



No comments:

Post a Comment